Monday, October 13, 2008

Cooking with sprouts


After using raw sprouts in salads and sandwiches, I decided to try making something called a "St. Paul" sandwich which I'd seen on a PBS show called "Sandwiches You Will Like". The video was based on a sandwich tour around the U.S. to find great local sandwiches. Anyway, the St. Paul sandwich is an egg foo young patty on white bread with lettuce, tomato, and mayo. The egg foo young is traditionally deep fried, but I just pan fried it. I started by stir-frying diced onions and sprouts. Once ready, form 2 sandwich-size disks of onions and sprouts in the pan. Beat 2 eggs, add some soy sauce and pepper. Over medium heat, pour egg mixture over each sprout/onion disk and use spatula to form patties as it sets. The only thing that it's missing is some spicy sauce. Cheap and healthy! Take it easy on the mayo!!

2 comments:

Athena is a ... said...

Looks really good - but I gotta tell you, the sprout thing would take some getting used to for me ;0)

Cottage At Dove Canyon said...

I agree with Athena. I like the egg, I like the foo, and hell, we all like-a-the young. But come on, sprouts?
PS - the words "Take it easy on the mayo" go in one ear and out the other in this house.